Aug 24, 2010

Emergency Room



Ever have a UTI? (urinary tract infection)
Me neither...until last night. 

***
Justin has been working 2nd shift for a couple months now :( it's a super bummer and hard time for me. I really feel like he is missing out on a lot of the small stuff Laila is doing in my belly and I've been feeling pretty lonely. I've also been super paranoid something bad was going to happen and I would have nobody home with me. I was right!

I remember doing my business on the toilet and then having some horrible abdominal pains. Last time I felt this much pain was when I got my IUD and this pain was so freaking uncomfortable. I brushed it off and jumped in the shower to see if that would help. Showers usually calm everything for me. This didn't help though, if anything it was just making it worse. It was one horrible, long and never ending pain. I still managed to wash up while bawling my eyes out and yelling to no one that Justin wasn't there when he should have been. 

By the time I was all done rinsing off I got down on all fours and just rocked back and fourth, still bawling. The pain was just getting worse and I'm a baby when it comes to pain. I can't handle a lot. I decided to get out and get some pj's on and try and lay down. I barely got my pj's on. My eyes were blurred, I was shaking and nauseous and I was constantly having the urge to pee so after the shower I spent most of my time sitting on the toilet.

By this time I had noticed I was bleeding. It wasn't a lot but I think any blood during pregnancy can scare the crap out of someone. I was terrified that this was something bad. I tried calling the nurses and the ob/gyn department was closed and I couldn't even get a hold of the on call doctor. So I text Justin and called my mom and had her come and get me. We decided the best thing was for me to go to the emergency room. :( 

Good thing the emergency room was pretty dead. The only other person in there just happened to be a neighbor of my mom and dad. Once checked in, they admitted me to the New Life Center right away. When they hear that someone who is ONLY 25 weeks pregnant with bleeding and abdominal pain, I think they expect the worse but hope for the best. 

I was wheeled up to my room, put in a gown, and hooked up to all the monitors. I almost had a panic attack when the nurse couldn't find Laila's heartbeat. My heart pretty much felt like it was sinking and then there she was. Big relief to hear her heart beating away. It's such a beautiful sound. By the time everything was set up they had guessed that I had a UTI but needed a urine sample to confirm. Ya right, I've had to pee for the last hour or so and nothing comes out, there's no way I can pee in a cup for a urine sample. Catheter it is. 
I've had a catheter inserted before and I find them uncomfortable and the whole UTI just made the whole situation even more uncomfortable. Good thing she was quick and careful at the same time. About 30 minutes later she came back to confirm I had a UTI. By this time Justin left work and came to the hospital so my mom could go home. I think it was around 10 when he got there. 

I was so glad he was there to comfort me, I felt like such an idiot and so embarrassed and just needed him there with me. My mom had left by this time and Justin and I were waiting to see what would happen next. My bladder was getting pretty full now since I was drinking a lot of water to flush the infection out. Guess who LOVES to kick my bladder when it's pretty full. Oy boy, I started crying because her kicks her so forceful and painful to my bladder. Justin was more than willing to go get the nurse for me and have her unhook me. 

It was such a relief to pee. I honestly thought I was going to pee right there in bed or on my way while walking. Once I finished I got hooked back up and the nurse decided to administer some antibiotics through an IV. This process went pretty quick and after that we were free to go home. YAY! I was tired and still in some pain and just wanted to lay down next to Justin. 

Today, August 24th: After only getting about 5 hours of sleep I toughed it out and went to work...but only to be sent home a half an hour later. Everyone agreed that I looked like crap and I did. I was a walking zombie. I've slept pretty much all day and spent some time with Justin before he had to go to work. Picked my prescription up and have just been taking it easy. 

UTI's are painful and very uncomfortable and I never want to have to deal with that again. 

I'm just glad Laila is still doing amazing :]

Other good news, I also passed my 1 hr glucose test. Woot woot!!! 

xo.
me

0 lovely comments: